The discharge process of all children should include:
- correct timing of discharge from hospital
- counselling the mother on treatment and feeding the child at home
- ensuring that the child’s vaccination status and record card are up to date
- communicating with the health worker who referred the child or who will be responsible for follow-up care
- giving instructions on when to return to hospital for follow-up and on symptoms and signs indicating the need to return urgently
- assisting the family with special support, e.g. providing equipment for a child with a disability or linking with community support organizations for children with HIV/AIDS.