In order to provide good inpatient care, hospital policies and working practices should promote the basic principles of child care, such as:
- communicating with the parents
- arranging the paediatric ward so that the most seriously ill children receive the closest attention and are close to oxygen and other emergency treatments
- keeping the child as comfortable as possible and controlling pain, especially in invasive procedures
- preventing the spread of hospital-acquired infection by encouraging staff to wash their hands regularly and other measures
- keeping warm the area in which young infants or children, especially those with severe malnutrition, are being looked after, in order to prevent complications like hypothermia.